Monday, November 15, 2010

Mother Nature's Heartbeat

This past Sunday, my friend Franny and I were very fortunate to be able to attended a Hand Drum Workshop in St Catharines. "Dewegun" ( the living heart ) is how the drum is described. "It has been said that the one true path that will guide you home.... is the one that begins in your heart. "


When we first arrived at the studio, we were greeted with many smiling and welcoming faces. The workshop itself was led by Bill Russ and his partner Jackie Labonte joined us later in the afternoon. You could tell instantly that Bill would be an amazing Teacher. His passion and joy emanated from his being. We were also introduced to two other amazing Teachers, Earl and Jacqi, who would be guiding us in our wood burning instruction.


The class opened up with Bill singing a Native song and playing his drum. His voice was amazing! As soon as he started I had goosebumps all over my body. I could hardly wait to begin to construct the drum that was echoing inside of all of us.


We all picked out or drum bases and began to sand and wood burn our designs into them. Much respect goes into making the drums. We were guided to put all of our positive thoughts and intentions into every aspect of making the drums. It is a very large ritual to construct a drum, as we are giving life and a voice back to the Spirit of the animals and trees that were taken so that we could make it. Besides the small amount of glue holding the base together, everything that our drums would be made from is organic and once living materials. It is very important to honour the Spirit of the drum and to treat it with respect.


Wood burning was my favourite part, and I believe it was Franny's as well. It was unbelievably relaxing. The whole classroom was dead silent as we all burned intricate designs into our base. The smoke that was created during the process is seen as medicine in Native culture. Just like smudging, the smoke cleansed and calmed all of us. After we were finished, we moved on to making our striker stick. This was a very easy process.


After lunch, we were all eager to move on to the next step - making the lacing for our drums. Little did we know that we would be cutting it out of the imperfect pieces of deer skin that still showed signs of how the deer was killed. I had to hold back my lunch as the Teacher plopped down a folded up piece of fowl smelling skin that had bullet holes in it. We were to smooth out the skin and squeeze out any remaining "juices", then to cut it into 5 arms length strips. Everything smelt like death. It was an awful, awful smell, but we knew we had to suck it up and put on a brave face.


Once our lacing was cut, it was time to lace the main piece onto the base. Walnut oil was used to stain the drum covering, making each piece as individual as the person making the drum. Lacing was pretty confusing as first, but with team work, Franny and I were able to get the hang of it. Once it was finished, it was a huge relief not to have to handle the wet, stinky skin any longer.


Our drums were beautiful, there was no doubt about it. After everyone had completed theirs, it was time to Feast our drums. In Native Culture, it is very important to provide a feast to the Spirit as a sign of respect. We all shared berries and dripped some of the juices onto the drums. I took it a little too far, and actually rubbed my berry onto the dead skin then ate it....right before I was told to squeeze it on instead. Needless to say, my drum and I got a little personal. Closing the Ceremony, Bill led us in a drumming and Native song. It was a wonderful way to finish off the day.


The drumming workshop was an amazing opportunity for us to meet like-minded people and to share in this Native American tradition. Since the beginning of time, drums have been used to call people together. They were and still are the pulse of a community - or of Mother Earth. It is a universal language of peace, diversity, languages, understanding, joy, ect.. I could go on forever! The sound is a peaceful aid to use in meditatation and to bring us closer to the Earth.


We were very fortunate to be apart of this. I will never forget it and I will cherish my beautiful drum forever. I am so happy I was able to share this experience with my friend, Franny. It is a day I will never forget.





Please take the time to visit www.fireart.ca and learn more about wood burning art.


To view all the photos taken, please visit : http://www.flickr.com/photos/staysweetxo/






No comments:

Post a Comment